Thursday, 16 July 2015

Stamp of Approvable



"One drop of hatred in your soul will spread and discolour everything like a drop of black ink in white milk." Alice Munro, The Progress of Love



Cool drawing of Munro

I adore Alice Munro's writing because her gift of creating a world in a mere sentence leaves me in serious awe.

In junior high we had read a short story (I am at a loss for the name) by Munro, and it stayed with me all semester.  It wasn't just the characters or the  plot but the feeling you get from reading words that are so perfectly strung together it makes you wonder why no one else describes people/place/things just like this. In the following summer I went to the library and saw that there was a large hardcover of Munro's Selected Stories
I can still see snapshots of myself reading this book over those three weeks. As much as you
My first Munro collection
want to grab every work Munro has written and read it back to back; I have slowed myself down so that I never run out of reading a Munro story for the first time (I do that with Jane Austen's work too).  Recently, we selected Alice Munro's My Best Stories and there were a few I already read...and you know what I enjoyed them as much as I did the first time.  If anyone wants to read a great writer I would highly recommend Alice Munro.  She is Canadian which makes me proud that someone so brilliant in literature is from a Country I love (and that she writes about Canada in such a beautiful and realistic way).  Munro is one of the best short story writers which is a hard genre to be successful in as it is not an easy prose to write and engage readers.  


For more information on Alice Munro and her works please visit her website.


Munro collective stamp.
As I was looking through the recent book news I noticed an article from CBC about Canada Post releasing a tribute stamp of Alice Munro.  I am so excited to see, not just a Canadian icon, but a great writer receive such an honor.  The stamp is amazing with a picture of the author (taken by her daughter) and a sample of her handwriting.  It is something I am going to try and get for my own book collection. 

 "Because if she let go of her grief even for a minute it would only hit her harder when she bumped into it again." Alice Munro, Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage

 
k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment