Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Read Along for TKAM: Chapter One


Last night I was ready for bed by ten o'clock.  I tried to finish my eBook (Friction by Sandra Brown - review to come in a later post) but my eyes would not stay open so I had to give up halfway into the novel.  As I snuggled under the covers, despite the heat, I pushed in my earbuds and clicked on "play".  Sissy Spacek's smooth slow drawl filled my ears...

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. When it healed, and Jem’s fears of never being able to play football were assuaged, he was seldom self-conscious about his injury. His left arm was somewhat shorter than his right; when he stood or walked, the back of his hand was at right angles to his body, his thumb parallel to his thigh."
 Ah, these words floated into mind like my mom's food fills my belly.  A mere paragraph, minutes, into the story and I the images play in my mind like my own film.  I only finished the first chapter before sleep picked me up.  I am enjoying Scout's sassy and insightful view of Dill and Boo Radley and his family.  I forgot how the opening descriptions of Maycomb bring me right into the town.  Calpurnia, for me at least, has been a favourite character as her wisdom is just as important as Atticus  and often times more realistic.  I am hoping to listen to more than one chapter tonight but will definitely finish Chapter two!

For a list of characters please see the following link.

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment