Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Freedom to Read: Day 15-30: Banned Books Week


Later this week Banned Book Week will end but today is the last post in my Freedom to Read month. (it is a topic I will continue to discuss but not as detailed as this month's posts).  I also picked September because that is when school starts - bringing to an end of  Summer Reading and making way for school reading.  I always find it sad that schools restrict so many brilliant books because the subject matter is deemed "inappropriate" - instead of educating students on why the subject matter is thought of as inappropriate, and how does the author bring this to light.  I will stop preaching no, promise!  I am just so passionate about everyone having the freedom to read.  I hope that you in someone were able to celebrate this privilege that is not yet a right for all.
Oscar Wilde

I am currently listening to Go Set a Watchman by controversial author Harper Lee and also reading O'Pioneers by Willa Cather  - which was also has been banned.  I have not finished them yet so will not say anything other than I am enjoying the writing of both books.


The list of the 10 most challenged young adult novels from 2014-15 follows.

1. "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian," Sherman Alexie
2. "Persepolis," Marjane Satrapi
3. "The Bluest Eye," Toni Morrison
4. "The Kite Runner," Khaled Hosseini
5. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," Stephen Chbosky
6. "Drama," Raina Telgemeier
7. "Chinese Handcuffs," Chris Crutcher
8. "The Giver," Lois Lowry
9. "The House on Mango Street," Sandra Cisneros
10. "Looking for Alaska," John Green

k (My Novelesque Life)



No comments:

Post a Comment