Sunday, 4 October 2015

Mystery Monday: Dr. Charlotte Stone - Book 4



THE LAST TIME I SAW HER
(Dr. Charlotte Stone: #4)
Written by Karen Robards
2015; 336 Pages
Genre: romantic suspense, suspense, mystery, paranormal, supernatural

★1/2

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.) 

Last summer when I finished the third book, Last Whisper, I was a bit shattered when it ended with a cliffhanger.  I thought if this was the last book in the series I would be devastated.  After I picked myself up off the floor I moved on with life the best that I could.  As other books came into my life I slowly let Charlie and Michael go.  By the time I saw that book four was being released (my mind probably had blocked out the trauma) I had not realized that I needed to read this book AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Last week, I realized I missed reading and reviewing this book in August and September so I decided to get on that. OMG as soon as I started the first page all the emotions and scenes from book three flashed through my eyes.  I spent my day off reading as much as I could.

This is a hard book to review as everything I want to say sounds like a spoiler or might lead to a spoiler.  So bare with me please...Charlie heads back into work, after some time off, to hand over files to a lawyer who could be Michael's twin...except they have different eye colours.  Before Charlie can investigate him there is a prison break on death row and she is taken hostage along with a school bus with young kids. While her life is in danger all she can think about is clearing Michael.

From the first chapter I was hooked till the end but I did have a few little problems.  There were certain things and parts of the story that kept getting repetitive to the point I was getting a bit annoyed.  Charlie's devotion for Michael at times felt over the top but I think it annoyed me only because of the ghost/human relationship.  And, the last 1/4 of the book felt really rushed. I would have rather the book ended on another cliffhanger and for another novel to be written.  I am not sure if this is the last book in the series.  Robards did tie everything up and there was no real anticipation for another book.  Yet, if there is book 5 on how things progress I would definitely read it.

k (My Novelesque Life) 

No comments:

Post a Comment