Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Quickie Review: Photography and Poetry




EMBLEMS OF THE PASSING WORLD: POEMS AFTER PHOTOGRAPHS OF AUGUST SANDER

Written by Adam Kirsch
2015, 128 Pages
Genre: poetry, photographs, nonfiction, history

Rating: ★★1/2

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

In the Emblems of the Passing World we see photographs of August Sander of Germans from before World War I to World War II.  The photographs are beautiful and capture so much emotion and make you wonder the story behind them.  Unfortunately, I was not a fan of Adam Kirsch's poetry.  I am not sure the poetry really conveys anything about the photo and often are just jumbled words.  I have to admit I stopped reading the poems after 60 pages and just looked at the great photos.  I would only recommend this book to those who enjoy great poetry.

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment