Monday, 4 January 2016

Mystery Monday Returns!!!


For the first Mystery Monday of the year I will be reviewing two books from one series written by Robert Dugoni.

MY SISTER'S GRAVE
(Tracy Crosswhite: #1)
Written by Robert Dugoni
2014; 410 Pages
Genre: mystery, suspense

Rating: ★★★

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

Before Tracy Crosswhite became a Homicide Detective for the Seattle PD she was once a high school teacher in her hometown. Her sister, Sarah disappeared 20 years ago and Tracy does not believe that the man in prison for her murder actually committed the crime.  As Tracy dedicates her life to catching killers she also tries to make sense of Sarah's disappearance and trial.  When her sister's body is discovered after all these years, there are more questions than answers to Sarah's disappearance.  As Tracy becomes obsessed with finding answers she is also getting just as close to danger.  Can she find out the truth before she is silenced by the killer?

I picked this novel because I was intrigued by the case of disappearance.  Disappearances of people freak me out because it is just too scary to think about a person never being found.  Where do they go???  As I began the book I was drawn into the mystery and Tracy's background, but then the story really started to slow down.  The details and background stuff sort of started to bog me down.  Add in the uninteresting romance, and Tracy's actions starting to get on my nerve I was pushing myself to finish the book just so I could see what happened to Sarah. I will give Dugoni another chance as  have seen some good reviews, and like to give authors another chance (everyone can have one bad book, right?)

I had high hope for My Sister's Grave - so much so - I also said I would review book 2 in the series...

HER FINAL BREATH
(Tracy Crosswhite: 2)
Written by Robert Dugoni
2015; 426 Pages
Genre: mystery, suspense

Rating: ★★1/2

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

Tracy Crosswhite has returned to the Seattle PD after her sister's murderer's retrial and is pulled straight into another big case.  There is a serial killer loose killing young women in motels. As Tracy works the case the killer begins to stalk her personally and Tracy begins to wonder if it is the killer or a copycat.  Soon Tracy finds herself looking at past cases that involve her Captain and starts to wonder where this case is taking her and if she will make it out alive?

The second book in the Tracy Crosswhite series sounded even better than the first.  Catching serial killers is my kind of suspense thrillers.  Unfortunately, again I had to really push myself to get to the end.  This time though I did not have the same curiosity of who the killer was.  I think that both books could be edited down a hundred pages and would move at a better pace.  I am going to call it quits on this series as I have given it a two book chance and there are SO many series I need to catch up on and start that I can't wait to start on.  BUT...I would read another -standalone- novel by Dugoni because maybe it is just this series or character.

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment