Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Mystery Monday: Whispers on Audiobook


Audio edition I listened to.
WHISPERS
Written by Lisa Jackson
Narrated by Alyssa Bresnahan
1996 (reissued Oct 2015), 416 Pages (16 Hours and 15 Minutes)
Genre: romance, mystery, suspense

★★

Miranda, Claire and Tessa have been summoned to their family home in Lake Arrowhead, Oregon where their father announces he is running for governor, and needs their cooperation.  Their father also hires an investigator to rifle through their family secrets to see what will hurt his campaign.  Kane Moran, now a reporter, has returned home to also expose family the candidate's secrets and what find out what really happened sixteen years ago.

Sixteen years ago - eldest daughter, Miranda is love with Hunter and is pregnant with his baby; Claire
is in love with Harley and they are engaged to be married; and Tessa has given her virginity to Weston who wants to sleep with all three of the sisters, especially Miranda.  Kendall is also in love with Harley, and is in cahoots with Weston to get Harley back.  Paige, Weston and Harley's sister, wants Harley to marry Kendall so she can have Kendall in her life.  Their parents are all having affairs with one another and not for love.  Then one night everything blows up when Harley is found dead and the three sisters were in a car accident - all on the same night.

Another Reissue.
Then we come back to the present (1996) where things s-l-o-w-l-y unfolds just how you think it would.  And, somehow the characters come together in a forced way to tie up loose ends.

This was one of those novels where I did not like a single character.  They were all selfish in their own way and not characters I would root for.  I did come to feel for Miranda and Tessa as their characters did grow and redeemed themselves (in my opinion).  They had the capacity to be strong heroines to carry the novel on their own.  I did not like Claire - or like how she turned out or find that she did anything to change my opinion on her.  And, of course, she is the heroine.  The one everyone wants to love or hate.  She has this big secret and every time the person she is keeping it from comes around, she ALWAYS has to mention that she has this secret from them, that they will hate her, and that she can't believe they haven't already
Recent Reissue.
figured it out. She also has a love interest (the hero who I also don't care for) where the "romance" seems to pop out of nowhere, as the chemistry between them is not really there.  We hear they are in love but don't really see it.  I enjoyed the narrator as she kept a good pace for a long drawn out story.  I felt like there was too much going on and we were in the past too much.  I didn't think we needed whole back story as it gave away the killer right away.  I felt for this reason their wasn't much suspense.  This book just didn't keep my interest.  I did finish it just because I was willing to stay with the story for the author's sake, and then got to a point where I had to finish or admit great defeat.

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment