Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Spring Cleaning Comes Early: Review


So, I have been a bit bad on reviewing and one of my goals for the year is to try and catch up on as many reviews as I can.  You may see several reviews in one day -- sorry, if this becomes annoying!

THE RIPPER'S WIFE
Written by Brandy Purdy
2014; 368 Pages
Genre: historical fiction, true crime, suspense


Rating: ★★

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)


In 1880, English cotton broker James Maybrick meets Southern belle Florence Chandler aboard a ship and soon fall in love.  When they reach England they are soon married and settle down in a wealthy section of Liverpool.  Once married they discover that they don't really know who the other person is.  Chandler is the not society heiress she claimed to be ad Maybrick has a mistress and drug addiction.  From Chandler's point of view we see how she discovers her husband's diary and knows his darkest secrets.
Real life images of the Maybricks.

I was really looking forward to this novel.  I have heard good things about the author, have been interested in theories about the Ripper and the fact that this was a true story.  I found that the story moved quite slowly that I began to skim some paragraphs to move the story along.  It read like a bad melodrama without know it was one.  I did like how Purdy reimagined facts into fiction and it made me really interested in learning more about the real Maybrick and Chandler.  I would definitely try another book by Purdy as I think her writing has potential and this may be an editing issue.


k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment