Friday, 5 February 2016

Feature Friday: Blind Date with a Book

For the Valentine's Day season there seems to be a new craze at the library...blind date with a book!  The concept behind this is that the staff chooses their favourite books, CDs and DVDs in the library's collection and wrap them up so that you cannot see the title.  The staff provides patrons with a little tweet-size tease on what the item might be about.  The patron checks out the item and can open it at home.  And, if the patron reads/listens/watches the item is a bonus! It is a fun way to share books and also try something new.  Working in a library that is doing this I have to say it is a lot of fun in prepping the items.  I have even helped with the blurbs for items I did not pick and it was a great exercise in writing ;) 

I did not expect patrons to be so...shy with the blind date.  Patrons have been giving quick glances at the wrapped up books, but many pass on taking them out.  I am not sure if it seems like a big commitment and that is keeping them from partaking.  Or if is their lack of curiosity.  Then you have those that unwrap an item and steal it. I am not sure if they missed the fact that the book is free to take home or it was the thrill of the blind date.  All I know is he/she is a bad date.  

I am looking forward to picking something out myself...something I did not help write, lol.  I will keep you posted on how it all goes.  

What do you think of the blind date with a book concept?

k (My Novelesque Life)





No comments:

Post a Comment