Sunday, 7 February 2016

Sunday Tea and a Review


Today we celebrate Laura Ingalls Wilder and Charles Dickens' birthday (February 7) also known as Super Bowl 50.  Wilder was one of my favourite authors as a kid.  I loved her Little House on the Prairie series, but  now that I think about it this series was one that I never reread and I sort of wonder why (note to self: pick up the first book on audio and see if this novel holds up to what Little K raves about). I also watched the television series when it aired the reruns in the late 1980s.

Since I first had a "to be read" list, Mr. Charles Dickens has been on it (I think Tale of Two Cities was the first book I added - not yet read though).  First, I read Great Expectations  for English 12 and, unfortunately, the romance and character expectations fell a bit for me. I never really enjoyed any of the movies based on the novel as well.  Then I read Hard Times for an English class and really enjoyed the somber novel.  It has the gritty realism of the Victorian age yet the hopefulness as well.  After reading A Christmas Carol - and rating it five stars - I have officially added Dickens to the list of "at least try every novel".


Happy birthday, Laura and Charles wherever you are in book heaven!

A CHRISTMAS CAROL
Written by Charles Dickens
1843, 104 Pages
Genre: holiday, fiction, paranormal, classics

Rating: ★★★★★

I did it, I did it!!! I finally read this book and before Christmas Day ended.  It is a story we all know well and could tell in our sleep as most of us watch a film version during the holidays.  I have always put this novel off as Dickens is so depressing and I felt like since I knew the story maybe I would not enjoy it as much.  From the first page I was hooked and I loved the narrator’s tone.  It was not depressing but instead very uplifting that it is never too late to change.  This thin novel invoked many emotions – of sadness, anger, compassion, forgiveness, happiness and hope – and that was just from me as a reader.  I think it is a novel I will read again – it is a perfect novel to read out loud. If you have been avoiding this novel for any reason you may wish to reconsider as you are missing out on a holiday classic. 

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment