Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Toddlers, Tots and Teens: Just for Kids?


Recently, I have been reading a lot of picture books.  It could be my biological clock ticking but more likely that I am surrounded my babies - and I think I like it!  Once my nephew was born in 2014, I started to look at picture books because I wanted to make sure he had a kick-ass book collection.  Now with my bestie having a girl I can't help but scour books to find the cream of the crop.  As much as this started out as a weeding out good books it has now turned into a real like.  I enjoy reading these clever stories with gorgeous illustrations.  It takes a lot to keep a small kid's attention and have them love books.  I am in great awe of that.
Loved The Book Thief!

I'm in great awe of any author in any genre that can take a reader to another world.  I read picture books, middle school chapter books, young adult novels, graphic novels and visiting some of my childhood favourites.  I enjoy each genre.  I think if a writer is a great storyteller they can capture a story at any age group for (almost) any age group.  I am not advocating children reading inappropriate adult-level books (insert your own parenting rules here).

In 2014, I reread the Anne of Green Gables series (I had never read the whole series through) and I was just as enchanted with it now as I was I first read it when I was 8.  Last year I read Libba Bray's Diviner series - meant for young adults - yet it was smart and engaging for any age.  Young adult has become so popular with women in their 20s, 30s and 40s it has spawned a spin-off genre, New Adult (more on NA in another post).  Books for children like, Harry Potter and Hunger Games have step up standards of writing so that parents enjoy reading to their children - beyond teach them to read but instilling the joy of reading and storytelling.   My own dad, would read a story with oomph rather than monotone blah, blah, blah.  True, the oomph excited my mind and it was harder for my parents to put me to sleep - you have been warned.
New covers of Anne of Green Gables

I've read to my nephew a few times and he seems to enjoy my telling of the story as he does not want to chew the book as much.  If I do a sing song voice he looks at me with his big soulful eyes...wait I digress.  This whole idea of books for kids are just for kids is ridiculous.  You don't need to be ashamed for loving Roald Dahl at 35...besides we have eReaders to hide the book's cover. Next time you are at the library go ahead take out a picture book or young chapter book and see how well the writer writes. 


Next week for T,T&T I will a several pictures books for your toddlers and YOU!

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment