Thursday, 31 March 2016

Reread Review: A Game of Thrones


A GAME OF THRONES
(A Song of Ice and Fire: #1)
Written by George R.R. Martin

1996; 835 Pages
Genre: fantasy

Rating: ★★★★1/2


(SYNOPSIS)

When I first read A Game of Thrones in 2012 I was a bit confused with all the names and places that it took me a bit longer to get through the book.  I did enjoy the writing of Martin but also the complicated world that he has created.  So when the TV series came out I watched season 1 and with faces to name I had it all
Drop Everything And Read!
clear in my head.  When I started to reread the first book (so I can continue the series) I realized I was breezing through it and loving it much more this time around.  As I knew the story I could focus on the characters and details.  I loved the way characters interact with one another and the language and dialogue is so great I found myself saying some lines out loud.  I cannot wait to read the next book and see where this series is going.


MAY 2012 REVIEW
★★★★

A Game of Thrones is told from the point of view of several characters - which adds to the novel's appeal.  If it had been told through just one or a few characters you would miss much of Martin's imagination and the world he has created.  This epic novel - in length and genre- had me moving through it quicker than I ever thought I would.  In a way it reminded me of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series - for it's appeal to a greater audience.  I would recommend this to anyone who like a good story.

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment