Thursday, 10 March 2016

What? 19 Years Ago???


Nineteen years ago, when I was in the 11th grade I met Buffy Summers and the Scooby Gang. I have followed Sarah Michelle Gellar from her time on Swans Crossing to All My Children  so when I saw her on a preview for a new show I was excited!  When I saw that it was going to be a spin-off of the movie, Buffy the Vampire Slayer I was even more elated to try the show.  The show would take off where the movie ended.  Since the Pilot I have watched every episode (and my mom has watched faithfully with me).

The movie was a fun and quirky but honestly I have only seen it twice - once when it came out on video and another time when it was airing on television.  Yet, the premise of the movie was so great - women were saving the world from evil! Joss Whedon, the creator, not just created the best characters but a whole new world and was already thinking about season 5 in season 2.  I have great respect for him and his talent.  Sarah Michelle Gellar made Buffy a real kick-ass hero but also someone you can relate to.  She brings her personality to life and makes you want to kick some evil ass.  This show had everything...drama, humour, adventure, fantasy, and a musical.  I think even now there are new fans coming aboard and every so often I meet a person who loved this show or another Whedon creation. (Even my boyfriend has a BtV video game - which of course he got because it has good graphics and game play.  HAH!)

  I will do a proper ode to Whedon and Buffy in other posts but I just wanted to celebrate this day that changed a bit of my teen and young adult life.  I was the same age as Buffy so went through the same things as her (including the baddies) and it just was an outlet for my own angst and brooding. I bought the series on DVD as I could afford them and watched the whole series a few times - usually when things were going not so good.  I would start the show and for those few hours I felt lost in the Buffy-verse.  Out of all my lovely tv series box sets...BtV and Angel are the ones I am saving out of the burning house with as many Gilmore Girls I can too.

To celebrate I might do a mini Buffy marathon tomorrow because I could use an escape right now from some baddies.

k (My Novelesque Life)


No comments:

Post a Comment