Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Happy Birthday, Beverly Cleary!


When I think back to my reading life as a child I remember Beverly Cleary being a very important author for me.  I devoured the Henry Higgins series and it introduced me to Ramona who is one of my favourite literary characters.  And, who didn't love Ralph S. Mouse and Socks?  I reread Dear Mr. Henshaw so many times my parents bought me my own copy.  In my preteens I read her First Love series and even though they were written 40 years earlier I still identified with the emotions.

Cleary has been writing since the 1950s up until the 1990s and for me no matter what the era is in the novels I identify with the characters and the core problems they go through.  Cleary, in my opinion, knows children and what they like and what they fear.  She is able to provide her readers with books that not only make them feel good but also make them feel they are understood.  I am looking forward to rereading Cleary's books as an adult and introducing them to a new generation.

Beverly Cleary Book List

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment