Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Toddlers, Tots and Teens: Suspense Thriller for Teens


Great cover!
AFTER THE WOODS
Written by Kim Savage
2016, 305 Pages
Genre: young adult, suspense, mystery


(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

Rating: ★★
When Liv is grabbed by an abductor her best friend, Julia refuses to leave her behind.  She charges at the kidnapper and twists her ankle and is now in the hands of the strange man.  Now that the abductor has Julia, Liv is free and runs away.  She is rescued after 48 hours and cannot remember her ordeal clearly.  One year later, the one bent on self destruction is Liv.  Liv has changed and does not want to discuss that day while Julia is trying to put the pieces together.  As Julia gets closer to the truth she realizes she may still be in danger.

I wanted to love this book...the premise had so much promise that the first chapter was everything I hoped for.  Then slowly the book unravels and it feels like a first draft.  The editing department dropped the ball on this one, I am afraid.  The story seems really forced to fit the beginning.  How it all comes out...is barely hinted at and then we are expected to buy the ending and how it all ties up.  I have to say right at the 80% mark I had NO clue what was happening and why.  WHY? It goes where you think it will go but not at all how you think or explained in anyway.  It feels disorganized and very forced. Even the romance doesn't make sense towards the midway of the book.  Suddenly they are in earth shattering love...now I am thinking my eBook has lost some pages.  YET, I would still try another of Savage's suspense book.  She has the creativity for storylines just not the follow through BUT I have to believe the publisher and writer will take feedback in account for the next book.  Oh, and good news is that there will NOT be a sequel :)

KIM SAVAGE - I was born and raised in Massachusetts, on the South Shore, which sounds beachy, even luxe. Think Winnebagos and chicken coops. My three brothers, 16, 10, and 8 years older, were teens by the time I became a person. Happiest around adults, who often forgot I was there, I spent days eavesdropping on gossipy moms in lawn chairs and nights listening under the table during tipsy Scrabble parties. My dad read to me nightly. Eventually and early, I read to myself, everywhere. On top of an enormous freezer chest stuffed with meat. On drives until I grew nauseous. In bed until my eyes gave out. I read anything I could get my hands on. V.C. Andrews and Dickens. Black Beauty and the Bible. The Economist. Madeline L’Engle and Margaret Atwood. National Geographic.
I got a bachelor’s degree in English from Stonehill College and a Master’s in Journalism from Northeastern University. For a while, I worked as a business journalist. Instead of waiting for the Federal Reserve to release the Beige Book, I pitched story ideas along the lines of “Stigmatized Properties: When Murder Kills Property Values”. You see where things were headed.
Today, I live with my family northwest of Boston in a town a lot like Shiverton, near the real Fells reservation of AFTER THE WOODS. Born with dysgeographica—I’m directionally challenged—the fear of getting lost in that lovely, dark forest lives close to my skin.

FOLLOW ON TWITTER
BUY ON AMAZON

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment