Monday, 16 May 2016

Mystery Monday: My First Wish Granted



On occasion NetGalley will have books listed on their site that are not available to request but you can "wish for it." The publisher/author may later decide to grant a reviewer wish.  (I am not at all sure how this decided).    I have "wished" for a few books and not really thought much about it.  I was so excited to see one of my favourite authors, Marcia Clark, had her newest book on NetGalley.  And, then I saw it was a "wish for it" item. SIIIIIIGH. Less than a week later I get an email entitled....You Wish Has Been Granted! I finally got my wish :)

BLOOD DEFENSE
(Samantha Brinkman #1)
Written by Marcia Clarke
MAY 1, 2016; 400 Pages
Genre: legal drama, suspense, mystery

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

Rating: ★★★★

Samantha Brinkman is a defense attorney in Los Angeles and striving to hit the big leagues. She has a part-time gig on HLN that doesn't pay the bills but may help her get bigger clients. Helping her along is her Gal Friday and childhood friend, Michelle and former-client-turned-new-not-legally-an-investigator, Alex.

Soon all news networks are airing the case of a popular young TV actress who is found murdered in her apartment.  Her roommate and inspiring model is also found murdered with all clues pointing to  the actress's older boyfriend, a LAPD cop.  As all defense attorney's vie for the high profile case, the defendant, Dale comes to Samantha to take his case.  Even after saying yes, on the urging of Michelle and their mounting bills, to taking the case Sam is not entirely sure she believes in Dale's innocence.  As she starts to investigate the case, talk to Dale and interview witnesses she is finding that nothing in this case is straightforward.  And, if Dale is not the murderer, is the real murderer watching her?

Ever since I read Clark's first book, Guilt by Association I have been a big fan of her legal thrillers.  They are a more stylish Grisham that has you hanging on every suspense moment and twist.  I love that Rachel Knight is so realistic and easily to relate to.  When I saw that Clark had a new book out this year, and was not a Rachel Knight book, I was a little disappointed.  And, seeing that Samantha Brinkman was to be a new series I worried over the future fate of Rachel.  I, of course, was going to read Blood Defense either way - and did enjoy this book.  I really liked that we got to see the defense side of things (as Rachel was a prosecutor) and Samantha was a likeable character.  Like in the other series, friendship is the key to making Sam successful.  Characterizations by Clark are always well done in my opinion.  What I did think lacked in this book was a romantic interest...or maybe even banter with a frenemy.  I recommend this book, and any other Marcia Clark book, to fans of legal thrillers, suspense and mystery.

 BUY NOW ON AMAZON



MARCIA CLARKI began practicing law as a criminal defense attorney. I became a prosecutor in the L.A. District Attorney's Office in 1981, and spent ten years in the Special Trials Unit where I handled a number of high profile cases prior to the O.J. Simpson case, including the prosecution of stalker/murderer Robert Bardo, whose conviction for the murder of actress Rebecca Schaeffer resulted in legislation that offered victims better protection from stalkers as well as increased punishment for the offenders.

Since the Simpson trial, I have toured the U.S. and Canada giving lectures on a variety of women's issues including domestic violence and inspirational/motivational speeches, as well as lectures on the latest high profile cases, public service careers, and of course, the Trial of the Century.
In May of 1997 my book on the Simpson case, Without a Doubt, was published and quickly rose to #1 on the New York Times, Wall St. Journal, Washington Post, LA Times, and Publishers Weekly bestsellers lists.

From February 1998 to 2000 I was under contract as a legal analyst and expert commentator for NBC, CNBC and MSNBC. I appeared weekly as the substitute host of Geraldo Rivera's "Rivera Live," and also hosted "Equal Time" for CNBC and "Judge and Jury" for MSNBC. I have appeared on the "Oprah Winfrey Show," the "Larry King Show," the "Today" show, "The Early Show," and "Good Morning America," among others, and provide legal commentary on a wide variety of cable shows such as "Anderson Cooper 360" and "Issues with Jane Velez Mitchell."

TNT optioned the Rachel Knight books for a one hour drama series and shot the pilot, which starred Julia Stiles as Rachel Knight. I (with my writing partner, Catherine LePard) have sold hour-long pilots to the FX network, Lifetime, and VH1 and developed a half hour comedy for NBC. I've also developed reality projects for CBS and was an executive producer of a one hour reality pilot for CBS.


k (My Novelesque Life)


No comments:

Post a Comment