Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Wooing Wednesday: Back in Carr Town


Yay, I am again up to date on all of Robyn Carr's contemporary series.  I am glad I have some standalone books if I get the withdrawals!

Audiobook Cover
WHAT WE FIND
(Sullivan's Crossing: #1)
Written by Robyn Carr
Narrated by Therese Plummer
April 2016; 342 Pages (9 Hours and 30 Minutes)

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

Rating: ★ ★ ★ 1/2
 
What We Find is the first book in a new series by Robyn Carr. This book reminded me a lot of Carr's first series, Grace Valley Trilogy.  A thirty-seven year old doctor wants to find a man and have a baby.  She returns to her hometown and to her father and meets a set of quirky townsfolk.  That is simplifying it as there are different stories running in each series.  In Grace Valley we had three novels for main character, June to evolve but we also had side stories of the townspeople also changing.  Like Virgin River and Thunder Point, in this novel we get Maggie and Cal's story.  We may see more of them yet, as there are more books in the series, but I am not sure were the story will go.  Tom seems to be the only bachelor they have talked about and there are his teenage kids.  Carr includes teens in her stories to give it a more rounded feel.  
 
I found at times this novel was stalling a bit, in that it was just going in no direction or having an exciting beginning.  When it does pick up I did enjoy it but not as much as I have enjoyed her books in the past.  I may have high expectations for Carr, but I just found myself not getting too into the plot or characters.  Maggie and her father felt a bit like previous Carr characters that they did not stand out to me.  The best thing about Cal was his past and how he came to be at Sullivan's Crossing.  Cal's parents and his home life sounded much like a story line from Grace Valley that I was wondering if he was a re-occurring character.  I love Sullivan's Creek...it totally sounds like a place I would want to go.  As always, Therese Plummer was amazing with all the character voices! While this novel didn't leave me clamoring for the next book, I am curious to see where it goes next!

k (My Novelesque Life)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment