Friday, 17 June 2016

Flashback Friday: Classics Summer List!


CLASSICS - Modern:

1. BASTARD OUT OF CAROLINA by Dorothy Allison
I read this in a Women's Studies course and the story has always stayed with me.  I remember after I finished reading the book I sat there just thinking about it all.  It's a moving novel.
2. A JEST OF GOD by Margaret Laurence 
Technically, ALL of Margaret Laurence's novels are modern classics BUT if I had to pick one it would be this one.  I saw this movie Rachel, Rachel starring Joanne Woodward and directed by Paul Newman and learned it was based on a novel written by a Canadian.  It is an amazing novel because it is so realistic and powerful.
3. THE COLOR PURPLE by Alice Walker
I saw this movie and I was outraged on Celie's behalf and then I read the book and I was just heartbroken. It is a difficult book to get through because it is so intense in emotions but I swear it is WELL WORTH the effort.
4. SHE'S COME UNDONE by Wally Lamb
I read this book when I just turned 18, and had started college.  I read it again 5 years later and it always gets me how great this novel is written and how well a man can write a female character.
5. CLARA CALLAN by Richard B. Wright
Another book written by a Canadian in Canada.  This is a historical fiction written in the early 2000s but I think will be a classic some day. 

 CLASSICS:

1. FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley
It blew my mind when I read this book and realized that Frankenstein was the scientist NOT the creature! I really enjoyed this creepy novel.
2. JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte
Jane Eyre was an interesting book in that she is not like many heroines at that time - or at least as I read it.  And, who doesn't like the drama of a mad woman in the attic?
3. THE AGE OF INNOCENCE by Edith Wharton
Wharton captures her era so well in her writings I think it was be read for historical purposes as well as entertainment.  I just finished her novella, Summer which I enjoyed as well.
4. SENSE AND SENSIBILITY by Jane Austen
While most people love the Bennets, Bingleys and Darcys...I enjoy the Dashwoods! One of favourite Austen books - so far. I think this novel would have been a beach read even back then.
5. MRS. DALLOWAY by Virginity Woolf
I wouldn't recommend this book to everyone as it takes awhile to get used to Woolf's style.  It is a slower pace writing style, with lyrical observations.

  CLASSICS - Plays:

1. THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST by Oscar Wilde
A romantic comedy with tons of wit and snarkyness!
2. A DOLL'S HOUSE by Henrik Ibsen
A moving and haunting play about roles of men and women - I want to see a live version of this some day.
3. PYGMALION by George Bernard Shaw
The original play is genius!
4. MACBETH by William Shakespeare 
A play with Scots, history, true crime, murder, love, passion, insanity...

CLASSICS - I want to read this summer:

1. NORTHANGER ABBEY by Jane Austen
I am always afraid I will run of Jane Austen so I am taking forever to read them all.  This summer it's time to read her novella.
2. THE TENANT OF WILDFELL HALL by Anne Bronte
I am reading this one for a group on Goodreads and will try and finish this month.  I am enjoying Charlotte and Anne's writing.
3. THE WOMAN IN WHITE by Wilkie Collins
As a fan of mysteries I really need to read some Collins.
4. THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE by Muriel Spark
This has been on my list FOREVER and I really do want to read it so am making this in writing, lol. 
5. THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY by Oscar Wilde
1. it's written by Oscar Wilde! 2. This character is portrayed in Penny Dreadful and I want to get all the inside details 3. It's been on the list since high school.

k (My Novelesque Life)
 

2 comments:

  1. I love how you've organized this list. So many of these are on my shelf, some I've read.

    ReplyDelete