Wednesday, 29 June 2016

If You Like Memory Man...Try Collecting the Dead


COLLECTING THE DEAD 
Written by Spencer Kope
JUNE 28, 2016; 320 Pages
Genre: suspense, mystery, thriller


​​(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)
★★★★1/2
 
I was hooked from page one! I could not flip the pages fast enough on my eReader. I had the same sort of reaction when I read David Baldacci's Amos Decker series.  Right off the main character is not like other heroes which I am always a sucker for.

The main character in this book is Magnus "Steps" Craig.  He is always called Steps by everyone, and as Jimmy, his FBI partner, says, "Let him tell you the story behind Steps."  Steps is a human tracker, and works with Jimmy in the Special Tracking Unit of the FBI.  Steps is dubbed the "human bloodhound" because of his uncanny ability to find the victim or killer.  Only three people know his secret - his father, Jimmy and the Director of the FBI - he is can trace shine. Shine is the essence that people leave on things they touch and only Steps can see.  While he continues to chase the serial killer he has named Leonardo, (due to the way he poses his victims) another case of the Sad Face killer is heating up. Diane, their office agent, has linked eleven victims to the Sad Face killer due to his MO and they must figure out who is next to catch him.

DROP EVERYTHING AND READ!
Steps is like Decker in that he can be blunt and literal sometimes but also be like Myron Bolitar (Harlan Coben) with his sarcasm.  The fact he has to live with seeing people's shine he deals with guilt of not always being able to save people.  He's a lot like Decker who has to deal with his perfect memory.  Steps and his FBI partner, Agent Jimmy Donovan are are also friends as they spend time together outside  of work.  He is like an uncle to Jimmy's son and that side of him is interesting as it balances his life.  He also has a love interest with a journalist who keeps him on his toes.  While the cases are brutal there is a great balance of humour that keeps everyone, including the reader, sane.  If you like suspense I HIGHLY recommend this novel! And, I really hope this is just the beginning of a series!

Buy it here!


SPENCER KOPE: I started writing in the Navy. First it was just short stories, and then I started my first novel while aboard the USS LaSalle in the Persian Gulf in 1984. The Tanker War was underway between Iraq and Iran and despite 12-hour shifts I still found that I had plenty of time to scribble out my masterpiece on a yellow notepad.

The Cold War was still going strong and my story was about a surprise Soviet invasion of the U.S., no doubt influenced by the year and a half I just spent learning Russian at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California, where most of my instructors were former Soviet citizens, and at Goodfellow Air Force Base in San Angelo, Texas.

I was well into the story, which followed the exploits of some high school buddies who were hiding out in the woods and conducting hit-and-run raids on the Soviet forces, when a new member of our small unit arrived from the U.S. When I eagerly explained the premise of the story to him, he told me it was exactly like a movie that just came out stateside called "Red Dawn."

I tore up my carefully crafted ream of yellow paper and pitched it into the trashcan.

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment