Friday, 24 June 2016

Poetry Reviews!


I have been in a bit of a reading funk.  Reading funk is more of a state of mind for me.  It is when other things in my life are happening and I cannot focus on reading for very long.  I have never not read something every day.  SO when I have these reading funks, I turn to poetry.  Poetry is my form of prayer and meditation.  I like to daydream a little with poetry so it is the perfect cure for my reading funks.  Here are some I have read over the month...I have been requesting more poetry recently as I really have come to love the genre.

19th Century

WAR IS KIND AND OTHER POEMS
Written by Stephen Crane
1899 (reissue JUNE 1, 2016); 64 Pages
Genre: poetry

1/2

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest 

War is Kind and Other Poems is a beautiful collection.  I have wanted to read Crane's The Red Badge of Courage for quite awhile.  I took many history courses in University (an unofficial third major) and I remember a few professors describing this book as a war novel. Seeing this collecting with the word "war" I thought I would try this one first.  The title poem, War is Kind is short but captures so much emotion.  When you read Crane's words you can almost see the image of it in your head.  This is one I left on my eReader for when I need a poem!

BEST POEMS OF THE BRONTE SISTERS
Written by Charlotte, Anne and Emily Bronte
Edited by Candace Ward
1899 (reissue January, 2016); 64 Pages
Genre: poetry



(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

 I have read the Bronte sisters' poetry for a few years now - in collections and online - and have enjoyed it.  Now that I have read some of the Brontes' novels I can see more of the individual style they had.  The one thing they all have in common is that their poetry has little stories.  Another collection living in my eReader.


 20th Century

WAIT TILL I'M DEAD: UNCOLLECTED POEMS
Written by Allen Ginsberg
Edited by Bill Morgan
February 2016; 256 Pages
Genre: poetry

★★★★

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

Other than Howl I have not read anything else by Ginsberg, and it appears I am missing out on a lot!  I really enjoyed his uncollected poems. The poems are grouped by decades (1940s-1990s) and I have to say I enjoyed his earlier poems a lot better.  I am not sure if it is the time or how Ginsberg was in that time - or both - but they seemed more open.  I recommend this collection to anyone who likes to read poetry.  I am looking forward to find more of his work.



21th Century

SHALER'S FISH
Written by Helen Macdonald
2001 (reissue: February 2016); 62 Pages
Genre: poetry

★★★

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

With the success of Helen Macdonald's H is for Hawk, her 2001 poetry collection has been reissued. Unfortunately, I did not really feel anything for the poems. I think it is her style that turns me off a bit.  I found myself skipping about a quarter of them.  I am still looking forward to reading H is for Hawk.

FELICITY
Written by Mary Oliver
2015; 96 Pages
Genre: poetry

★★★★

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

I heart Mary Oliver! I discovered this poet last year and I have loved every poem she has written.  There is something so innocent yet realistic.  I enjoy reading the poetry out loud as the words are so beautifully put together.  She has become not just a favourite writer but someone I look to for inspiration in my own writing.


k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment