Sunday, 12 June 2016

Sunday Tea: Book List! (Toddlers to Teens Edition)


Here are the lists you have been waiting for...summer reading lists!

CHILDREN'S EDITION

Picture Books (Ages 5 and under)...
CLASSICS:
1. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
A great picture book for all kids...they will adore Max as much as you did when you first read it.
2. Are You My Mother? P.D. Eastman
This was one of my favourite easy readers...it was read to me so many times I memorized and learned to read with it.
3. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
I still remember sitting at the kitchen table with my dad trying to learn to read on this book. 
4. The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch and Illustrated by Michael Martchenko
One of my first feminist reads! I loved this book so much :)
5. Curious George series by Margaret and H.A. Rey AND Bearenstain Bears series by Stan and Jan Berenstain
I loved Curious George and the Man with the Yellow Hat and the adventures they would go on.  I would read the Bearenstain Bears when it came into the library and read them over and over again.  Who knew I was learning as I was reading?


NEW:
1. Max and Marla by Alexandra Boiger
A sweet story about friendship and never giving up.  With a little bit of determination and good attitude you can do anything!
2. Cleo by Sassafras De Bruyn
Great artwork plus a grand story equals a complete winner!
3. Who Broke the Teapot? by Bill Slavin
 I love the illustrations and the story behind how the teapot was broken.

4. Miles of Smiles by Karen Kaufman Orloff and Illustrated by Luciano Lozano
Such a sweet story that leaves you feeling good...and with a smile.
5.Miss Moon: Wise Words from a Dog Governess by Janet Hill
Gorgeous pictures with a great story!



Chapter Books (Ages 5-10)...
CLASSICS:
1. Ramona and Henry Higgins series by Beverly Cleary
I loved these series and anything Cleary's write.  They are wholesome fun books...that make you want to read them along with the kids!
2. Charlotte's Web  by E.B. Web
A book that has been read by a few generations of children and is still going strong.
3. Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great Superfudge series by Judy Blume 
 These are great for the summer...the shenanigans happen in the book and keep them busy. 
4. Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish AND Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel
These easy readers are brilliant for kids learning to read.  They are sweet and wholesome...and of course, fun!
5. Encyclopedia Brown series by Donald J. Sobel AND Cam Jansen series by David A. Adler
These two series were big for a mystery fan like me.  I loved that you could solve the mystery with the characters.  It is great for children learning to read chapter books.

Children's Books (Ages 10-13)... 
NEW: 
1. Summerlost by Ally Condie
A perfect summer read about the summer. 
2. Isabel Feeney, Star Reporter by Beth Fantasky
A wonderful historical mystery set in the 1930s.

CLASSICS:
3. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
It's Harry Potter...need I say more?
4. Anne of Green Gable series by L.M. Montgomery 
I heart this series! I have read this book many times and it's usually been in the summer or fall.
5. BFG AND Matilda AND The Witches by Roald Dahl
A must-read for all kids in my opinion! Witty adventures!

Young Adult Books (Ages 13-17)... 
MIX:
1. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
A great book...and one that will young boys reading!
2. The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney
A suspense/mystery novel for teens.
3. Fear Street series by R.L. Stine
A great horror series from the 90s...a must-read in my opinion.
4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A classic that is still important today.
5.  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Set in WWII - a sweeping story that will have them transported to another place.
6. The Great Terrible Beauty series by Libba Bray
History, supernatural, romance...what more does a teen novel need?
7. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson (Graphic Novel)
Sweet story!
8.The Immortal Rules by Julia Kagawa
A smart vampire book for teens (especially if they like Hunger Games)!

 Tomorrow I will be posting the lists for adults! Stay tuned...
k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment