Tuesday, 14 June 2016

Truthful Tuesday: Nonfiction Book Lists!


RECOMMENDATIONS:

Social Justice:

1. JUST MERCY: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson
Part memoir and part history of "justice" system in Alabama, USA.  Stevenson is a great writer and passionate about social justice in the South.  We should not be judged by our worst moment...we all deserve redemption.
2. DEAD MAN WALKING: The Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty that Sparked a National Debate by Sister Helen Prejean 
This book changed my opinion on the death penalty - it gave me the
stronger conviction that the death penalty is not the answer in any way. Prejean is not preachy or aggressive in her opinion but rather outlines the fact with her own experience.  I also read Forgiving the Dead Man Walking: Only One Woman Can Tell the Entire Story by Debbie Morris which tells the story about the victim.  I am glad I read it as it gives you another side of the case, but is not as well-written.

Literary Nonfiction:

3. IN COLD BLOOD by Truman Capote
Capote takes a true crime case and spins it into literary nonfiction.  While it is based on true accounts, Capote does use drama and fiction to keep the story flowing.  Capote has inserted himself into the story and was in town while the crime was being investigated.


4. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN: The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W. Abagnale

What a crazy story! I am not sure how much of the details is true and how much is used for dramatic effect but it is a good story about a con artist.

Biographies of Wonderful Women:
5. ROMANTIC OUTLAWS: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Her Daughter Mary Shelley  by Charlotte Gordon
I read Shelley when I was 18 and Wollstonecraft in my 20s and both women have fascinated me.  The fact that they were mother and daughter just heightened my interest.  This is my first biography on both and I loves this book.  It gives a decent look at their life and works.

6. SISTERS IN WILDERNESS: The Lives of Susanna Moodie and Catharine Parr Traill by Charlotte Gray
I have heard of Susanna Moodie all through my education but never really knew anything about her.  I knew that Margaret Atwood had written a series of poems so I was interested to know more about them.  The sisters emigrated to Canada with their husbands, and lived in the bushes - an experience very different than their childhood.  Both women were writers and wrote about their separate experiences.

7. LIAR, TEMPTRESS, SOLDIER, SPY: Four Women Undercover in the Civil War by Karen Abbott
I wasn't expecting to gallop through this book as quickly as I did.  Abbott turns facts into a great prose.  I love that we get an idea of what women did to help in the Civil War.  We usually just have the male accounts.  I also enjoyed Jennifer Chiaverini's historical fiction novel, Spymistress.
8. BY MYSELF by Lauren Bacall
Other than being gorgeous and having the love of and for Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall is the every day girl that reaches her dreams.  She is so down to earth...it will make you want to have beer or coffee with her.
Spirituality:
9. BAD FAITH: When Religious Belief Undermines Modern Medicine by Paul A. Offit
When I checked this book out of the library I was just expecting to skim through it to get an idea, but after reading the introduction I could not stop reading.  Good thing I started a bit earlier in the evening as I read until I finished.  The real life accounts in this book is so heartbreaking but it is so important to read Bad Faith.
10. Karen Armstrong - THROUGH THE NARROW GATE: A Memoir of Spiritual Discovery
      THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE: My Climb out of Darkness 
 I read these memoirs back to back so I can't quite decipher details between them and so am putting them as one.  I picked up an Advanced Reader Copy,The Spiral Staircase when I worked at the bookstore.  I started this book and could not stop reading.  Armstrong is a fascinating woman and her experience with spirituality is eyeopening.

 Books I am Looking Forward to Reading in Summer:

1. TRUE CRIME ADDICT: How I Lost Myself in the Mysterious Disappearance of Maura Murray  by James Renner
All I saw was True Crime Addict and I was sold on adding this book to my summer reading list.  I was going through my podcast list and started listening to Missing Maura Murray.  In the second episode they mentioned James Renner and the book title.  The podcast is about 28 episodes so far and looks at the Maura Murray case in detail and also was used for a documentary.  I am SUPER excited to read this book - and theory - now!

2. FORGIVING MY DAUGHTER'S KILLER: A True Story of Loss, Faith and Unexpected Grace by Kate Grosmaire
Again the title of this book caught my attention - not so much for the case but more for Grosmaire's story and faith.  

3. KICK: The True Story of JFK'S Sister and the Heir to Chatsworth by Paula Byrne
I noticed that two books were coming out this year on a Kennedy - and one I was not familiar with - Kathleen "Kick" Kennedy.
4. HOW THE POST OFFICE CREATED AMERICA: A History by Winifred Gallagher
I am an avid reader of American History and this one is right up my alley.  I am interested to know how the Post Office was created.

5. A GIRL'S GOT TO BREATHE: The Life of Theresa Wright by Donald Spoto
Donald Spoto is a great biographer and I am a fan of classic Hollywood and Theresa Wright.  I only know Wright's movies, not anything about her.

Reviews will coming for these books sometime THIS SUMMER! 

k (My Novelesque Life)

2 comments: