Tuesday, 28 June 2016

TWO Reviews for Toddlers, Tots and Teens Tuesday

EVERYWHERE AND ALL AROUND
Written by Primm Van Hest 
Illustrated by Sassafras De Bruyn
Summer 2016; 32 Pages
Genre: grieving, death, families, picture book, children

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

★★★★

This beautifully written and illustrated book is a bit...sad to recommend as it is about a very young girl who has to come to terms with her mother dying.  Death is difficult to comprehend as an adult so imagine trying to explain it to a child - and not scare them for life.  This book helps, in my opinion, to explain what dying means to young children.  When the young girl asks people in her life where her mother is she learns that while she is not here physically she is everywhere and all around. 


NOT TODAY, CELESTE!: A DOG'S TALE ABOUT HER HUMAN'S DEPRESSION
Written and Illustrated by Liza Stevens
JUNE 21, 2016; 36 Pages
Genre: picture book, children, depression, mental illness

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

★★★★

This was an interesting book.  I have anxiety and often times I find it hard to explain to anyone what I am going through.  This book is a great idea as as learning tool.  Other than the story there is a guide to help parents to teach their children about depression.  The illustrations were okay but I think the message behind the book is the bigger deal.



k (My Novelesque Life)



2 comments:

  1. Everywhere and All Around looks like it has beautiful illustrations. I just don't think I can handle it emotionally, lol. But still, the pictures are so pretty! Thanks for your review, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very gorgeous in artwork and it is emotional...like The Notebook! I wanted to read the book because my cousin's wife passed away last year and she left behind a 1 year old daghter. It's going to be tough when she understands.

      Delete