Friday, 1 July 2016

Canada Day MUST READ!




INVISIBLE DEAD
(Wakeland: #1)
Written by Sam Wiebe
June 14, 2016; 320 Pages
Genre: canadian, suspense, thriller, mystery

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

★1/2 

Former cop turned private investigator, Dave Wakeland cannot seem to catch a break.  He relies on his business partner to bring in the money while he takes on dead end cases.  Dave starts to look into the disappearance of Chelsea Loam - who disappeared eleven years ago.  Chelsea's foster mother is dying soon and would like to know what happened to her eleven years ago.  Chelsea is a prostitute and was also in the drug scene so her disappearance have not garnered much attention.  When Dave starts digging he finds himself smack in the middle of powerful men who don't want any attention. He also finds himself falling for an ex-schoolmate turned prostitute and drug addict.  Can Dave find Chelsea without disappearing himself? 
Drop Everything And Read

Invisible Dead is set in Vancouver, BC (Canada) so for me it was great knowing exactly where things were happening (and also catch some Canadian and/or Vancouver references).  Sam Wiebe is known for Vancouver noir and this novel is a great example of noir.  I loved the darkness and grittiness of this mystery/suspense novel. This book is well-written and had me gripped from the beginning.  The only thing I was not a fan of was Dave's love interest as I found myself getting annoyed with him.  Yet, this "love story" seems realistic with Dave's character.  I am looking forward to the next Wakeland book!  I would recommend this book to fans of Michael Connelly, Karin Slaughter, Dashiell Hammett and James M. Cain. 

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment