Sunday, 3 July 2016

Quick Review: The Children by Ann Leary



THE CHILDREN
Written by Ann Leary

MAY 2016; 246 Pages
Genre: fiction

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

★★


Okay, I am going to try and give a synopsis...I think this novel was about a young unmarried woman without any children is writing a successful blog about motherhood.  She lives at home with her 60 year old mother who likes to give her opinion on everything.  Charlotte, the young woman, also has a sister and two step brothers and on again and off again love interest, Everette.  One day Spin, one of the stepbrothers, brings home his fiance, Lauren and it seems to pull the family apart. That is about all I can explain.

All the characters are quirky and dysfunctional but are more on the annoying side than lovable.  I read about 80 pages and then started skimming as I have no clue where the story was going.  I was hoping that this book was in the vain of Anne Tyler and Elizabeth Berg but it feels more like a later Woody Allen movie.  This book has had mixed reviews so maybe try a sample before making your decision to read or not read.

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment