Tuesday, 19 July 2016

Toddlers, Tots and Teens II: What Happened to Daddy's Body

WHAT HAPPENED TO DADDY'S BODY?: Explaining What Happens After Death in Words Very Young Children Can Understand
Written by Elke and Alex Barber
Illustrations by Anna Jacobs
JULY 21, 2016; 40 Pages
Jessica Kingsley Publishers
Genre: death, loss, grieving, families, children's book, picture book

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

★★★
 
Alex is 4 years old and lives with his sister and mother.  His father has died and Alex wonders what happened to his father's physical form.  His mother explains after his father died he was put into a coffin and was cremated...and that you can also bury a body and have a headstone.  The main message in this story is that "it is okay to be sad, but it is okay to be happy, too".  I liked how the writers broke it down and explained it in a way a 4 year old would understand death and what happens after.  I was not crazy about the artwork which took a bit away from the story.  A little issue I had with the story - and this is just my opinion - was that there was a step-family introduced so quickly to the end of the story.  I just didn't see how it fit in with the timeline and story.  While I like the main message of the book, I don't think this is a book I would recommend to my own niece (who has lost a parent).  The issue of a new parent and siblings seems a bit too much overload on a child when you are trying to get over one hurdle and not increase anxiety.  I would have saved John and his five kids for a later books on step-families. 
 
BUY eBook NOW!
 
*The author's description is pretty long so thought it would be better to just provide link. 
 
k (My Novelesque Life)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment