Sunday, 21 August 2016

Book Blog Tour for A Promise of Fire



A PROMISE OF FIRE
(The Kingmaker Chronicles: #1)
Written by Amanda Bouchet
August 2, 2016; 448 Pages
Sourcebook Casablanca
Genre: fantasy, romance, fiction

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)



"Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…

Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her." (From Publishers)
 
Oooooo with a tagline and cover like that how can I not be interested in this book.  While I am not an avid fantasy fanatic, I do enjoy a good magical novel.  I started this novel with great anticipation, espcially since it was also labeled a good romance.  Alas, I could not get into the world and characters created by Amanda Bouchet.  Cat tries to be a strong female lead but then becomes stuck in a bizarre relationship where she is constantly controlled in one way another.  This novel reminds me a bit of the Kresly Cole's Immortals After Dark series but without the humour and sarcasm.  I read IAF in a binge read as it was something different I had not read and it was well-written.  Bouchet's book tries to be like that but I think falls a bit short.  I also could not root for the hero, Griffin, as he just seemed like a big bully without and redemption in my opinion.  I started to skim about 25% in as I promised I would read it for reviewing.  Usually, I give a series 2 or 3 books to decide whether to read or not...but I am making a decision not to continue based on where the series seems to be going (based on the synopsis of book two).  This novel does seem to have mixed reviews so you may want to give it the 50 pages test to see if this book is for you.  What you get in the first chapter is how it continues to the end.

BUY EBOOK NOW! Only $3.96 now!
BUY PAPERBACK NOW!

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment