Thursday, 1 September 2016

Thrilled Thursday: The Things We Wish Were True



When I read the synopsis of The Things We Wish Were True I was intrigued by it's vagueness.  Of course it was a "wish for it" request on NetGalley.  I have had two "wishes" come true but I don't get too attached.  Last night I had planned to read Tom Bale's All Fall Down for today's review but that was not to be.  As I was finishing up on Goodreads I see I have received an new email at 11:45pm.  I have just had my wish granted...and guess what? The book is releasing tomorrow.  So I think I will just read a chapter of it but go back to All Fall Down

THE THINGS WE WISH WERE TRUE
Written by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen
September 1, 2016; 276 Pages
Lake Union Publishing
Genre: fiction, mystery

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

★★★★

 This novel is hard to give a synopsis for...so I will use the publishers...


"In an idyllic small-town neighborhood, a near tragedy triggers a series of dark revelations.
 
From the outside, Sycamore Glen, North Carolina, might look like the perfect all-American neighborhood. But behind the white picket fences lies a web of secrets that reach from house to house.

Up and down the streets, neighbors quietly bear the weight of their own pasts—until an accident at the community pool upsets the delicate equilibrium. And when tragic circumstances compel a woman to return to Sycamore Glen after years of self-imposed banishment, the tangle of the neighbors’ intertwined lives begins to unravel.

During the course of a sweltering summer, long-buried secrets are revealed, and the neighbors learn that it’s impossible to really know those closest to us. But is it impossible to love and forgive them?" (From Publisher)

After reading a chapter I stayed up till 2am to finish reading this book.  This book is not a suspense mystery - it is not causing you to flip pages till you find out how it all turns out.  Instead, this book - divided by character's point-of-view not chapters - keeps you engaged so that you just keep reading until it ends.  I liked that the characters were so realistic in this book and were not good or bad people.  The situations and secrets are not shocking but the consequences are engaging and sometimes heartbreaking.  There were a few uncomfortable moments for me in this book, but more because Whalen is a great writer.  I recommend this novel to anyone looking for a good story.

BUY EBOOK NOW! (Free for Kindle Unlimited!)
BUY TRADEPAPER NOW!


k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment