Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!


Happy Thanksgiving!  I had a wonderful day where things turned out right and I had a fabulous time with friends.  (Derek didn't show and that is all right.  I missed him but nothing else).  While I was waiting for my stuffing to fluff up I watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and man, I still love it! When Peppermint Patty invites herself to Charlie Brown's non-existence dinner I still feel anxious about that scene 30 years later.  And I would love toast and popcorn for dinner...good choices, Charlie Brown and Snoopy!  I also read...

AN OLD-FASHIONED THANKSGIVING
Written by Louisa May Alcott
Illustrated by Molly Johnson
1868 (reissue: 1974); 73 Pages
J.B. Lippincott Company 
Genre: holiday, thanksgiving, food, picture book, short story



This story is set in New Hampshire in the 1800s so this more about an American Thanksgiving (as are most books) but yet the traditions and sentiments are quite similar.  Little Women is one of my favourite books and after reading this story I am going to have to reach further into Louisa May Alcott's works.  I enjoyed this sweet story of a regular family in the 1800s getting read for the Thanksgiving feast.  We get such a wonderful composite of the time and great characterization for a short story.  In the library edition I read it also had illustrations by Holly Johnson that were incredible.  It really fit the story.  This is wonderful book to read with your kids on Thanksgiving and/or for yourself.  I highly recommend this book.  This is the sixth story in the collection called Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag.

k (My Novelesque Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment